Contest Entry - Song Entry Process
This tutorial will provide you with step-by-step instructions for inputting your quartet's contest songs into the online contest entry form (CJ20).
What you'll need to begin:
1.) A purchased, legal copy of each song you plan to sing in the contest. This music will contain either the Product ID number (if purchased from the BHS), or all necessary copyright/publisher information (for music purchased elsewhere).
How to enter contest songs purchased from the Barbershop Harmony Society
For all songs purchased from the BHS (Harmony Marketplace), the song entry process is simple and quick.
1.) Locate the Product ID (aka Stock number) on the first page of the song. This number will be either 4 or 6 digits. For songs with 6 digits, the first "digit" may be a capital letter "U"
2.) On the "Song Entry Process" screen, click the button which says "Market Place"
3.) Find the line which says "Enter the ID for the Song Purchased". Click once in the corresponding box, and type the Product ID number exactly as it is on the first page of the song. Then click on "SEARCH". For example, you could enter either 8601, or U13911, or 202223
4.) The song information will appear near the bottom of the screen. Verify the song is correct, and click on the button which says "Add".
*Repeat steps 3-4 only for all songs purchased from the BHS. For songs not purchased from the BHS, read on!
*Finished entering all of your contest songs? CLICK HERE
How to enter contest songs NOT purchased from the Barbershop Harmony Society
*On the "Song Entry Process" screen, click the button which says "Other Source". A song information box will appear.
*If the song is a medley of multiple songs, CLICK HERE FOR INSTRUCTIONS ON ENTERING A MEDLEY
1.) If the song is NOT a medley, click the "No" button on the medley line.
2.) Type the full title of the song in the "Song Title" box
3.) Type the name of the arranger in the "Arranger" box
4.) Type the name of the composer in the "Composer" box. This may be listed on your sheet music as "Music by ____"
5.) Type the name of the lyricist in the "Lyricist" box. This may be listed on your sheet music as "Words by ____"
- The names for #4 and #5 may be the same
- If your sheet music lists something like "Words and Music by John Doe and Jane Doe", type one name in the "Composer" box, and the other in the "Lyricist" box
- If there are more than two names listed under "Words and Music by ____", type ALL names, making sure the "Composer" and "Lyricist" fields each have at least one name in them
6.) Type the name(s) of the copyright owner(s) in the "Copyright Owner" box
- If the song is Public Domain (written prior to the year 1923), the "Arranger" and "Copyright Owner" fields are identical
- If the song is NOT Public Domain (any song written after the year 1922), the copyright owner(s) are generally listed on the bottom of the first page of the sheet music. Make sure to list ALL of them
7.) Type the copyright year in the "Copyright Date" box. This is generally found immediately preceding the copyright owners on the first page of the sheet music
8.) Enter the permission-to-arrange date in the "Permission to arrange Date" box using the format MM/DD/YYYY
- If the song is Public Domain (written prior to the year 1923), the copyright year and the "Permission to arrange Date" are the same
- If the song is NOT Public Domain (any song written after the year 1922), the permission-to-arrange date can be found on the sheet music in the copyright notice under "This arrangement Copyright © 19xx...". If this cannot be found in the copyright notice, you'll need to contact the person/arranger from whom you purchased the song
9.) Enter the date you purchased the song in the "Date Purchased by Contestant" box
10.) Verify all of the information you have listed is correct, and then click the "Save" button
*Repeat steps 1-10 for each song which IS NOT a medley
*Finished entering all of your contest songs/medleys? CLICK HERE