Earl Moon ScholarshipThe Whittier Choralaires (the Whittier Chapter of The Barbershop Harmony Society and The Far Western District) have established and oversees a Memorial Endowment Fund in the name of legendary Barbershopper, Earl Moon. Earl was the Choralaires' director for more than 25 years and his long-standing reputation as a premier faculty member at Harmony University is known to anyone who has ever attended Harmony University. Earl was not only a great quartet coach, chorus director, arranger and teacher, but also a true champion of the Joe Barbershoppers of the Society.
The Earl Moon Memorial Endowment Fund will, as long as funding is available, provide tuition payments for one deserving Barbershopper each year. Although the fund is managed by Harmony Foundation International, the actual selection from among the candidates is managed by the Whittier Chapter's Past Presidents. The selection criteria are based on principles that emphasize the member's experience, activity, and involvement with his chapter, as well as his potential for self-improvement or otherwise benefitting as the result of attending Harmony University.
- Must be a member of the Barbershop Harmony Society for at least three years.
- Must be a member who is active and involved in his chapter.
- Must be a member who has never attended Harmony University and might not otherwise have the opportunity to do so.
- Must be a member who will personally benefit from attending Harmony University.
- The Earl Moon Scholarship is open to all qualifying members of the Society, funds permitting.
- Whittier Chapter members are excluded.
- The candidate's chapter Board of Directors must submit the application and may submit only one application per year.
- The scholarship will cover Harmony University tuition, room, and board only. All other expenses, including transportation, are the responsibility of the candidate.
- The application must be received by the Whittier Chapter Secretary by May 1 of the current year.
- The Whittier Chapter Past Presidents will screen all applications, make their selection, and submit it to the Whittier Chapter Board of Directors for action.
- The selected candidate will be notified by U.S. mail and by email (if applicable). A copy of the notification will also be sent to the selected candidate’s Chapter President or Immediate Past President.